Cats crawling up your curtains? Dog chewing on your blinds? Maybe your toddler enjoys pulling on cords? We all know what potential dangers exist in the home and do our best to avoid making costly mistakes when selecting the best options for our homes. Prime Window Coverings has you covered. Our team understand the need to make your home as safe as possible for your family, which is why we’ve assembled a quick how-to guide detailing some of the best window coverings for homes with pets and younger children. Read on to learn more!
What treatments are best for homes with small children?
First and foremost, consider the dangers of cords and curtains. Blinds with hanging cords, or curtains with heavy rods are never a good choice, as your children can get tangled, or pull the curtain down on them.
Some good alternative options are:
- Cordless Blinds – These are a great choice for families with young kids as they provide the same versatility and ease of use that blinds do and pose much less risk to your children. Cordless blinds have cords running through the slats instead of out and about and allow you raise or lower them by pushing or pulling on the bottom. Prime Window Coverings can install blinds Mississauga, Oakville and further.
- Pull-down Shades – As with cordless blinds, most shades can be adjusted by simply pulling or pushing on the bottom section of the shade. Shades are versatile and can be coloured and adjusted to suit your home’s interior. That way, you don’t have to compromise on style and function.
- Shutters – Any kind of shutter, from traditional to plantation is a perfect choice for your windows if you have small children. Shutters look stylish, and are firmly mounted to the window frame, with adjustable louvers that can be closed for privacy and light reduction. Shutters can be swung open for even more light during the day.
What treatments are best for homes with cats?
Your furry friend might be a cute ball of fur, but when he’s crawling up your expensive curtains, even the most devoted feline fanatics will feel their temperature rising. Here are some other options:
- Shutters – While your cat might still be able to climb smooth wood or vinyl, they’re far less likely to attempt the trip with a smooth surface. For this reason, vinyl shutters or shutters made of strong materials are always a good choice. Shutters are a popular choice in Mississauga and Oakville, for this exact reason.
- Motorized systems – Motorized systems are a great choice as they allow you the option to simply move your shades or blinds out of the way during the times when your cat is most active. We highly suggest an automated system using blinds or shades made from a tough, durable material that will be scratch and claw resistant.
As a side note, avoiding fabrics is always a good bet when thinking of your pet. Not only will your treatments accumulate less dust and fur, but your cat will be less tempted to attempt any shenanigans.
What treatments are best for homes with dogs?
Sure, Fido is well trained, but even the most well-behaved dogs can be known for chewing on household items when you’re not home. It’s how they show you they care… Avoiding treatments your dog can reach such as curtains or anything with hanging cords is always a good idea, as is closely fitting your window treatments to the window to limit your pet’s interaction with them.
- Roller Shades – These treatments are a good bet, as well fitted shades will cling to your windows, and are difficult to move out of the way. Roller shades are easily motorized and offer a great solution for privacy and sun-protection.
- Sliding Panel Blinds – Similar to roller shades, sliding panel blinds offer complete protection and cling closely to your window or backyard entrance. By limiting how well your pet can get at the blinds, you’re preventing damage and helping their anxiety while you’re not home.
We hope we’ve helped a little in your search for the perfect window treatment options for your family. Whether you have kids, pets or both, safety is always an important factor in any home purchase or installation. Prime Window Coverings can help you select the best option for your home and provide you with a free consultation if you have any more concerns. We install blinds, zebra blinds, drapes, shades, shutters and motorized window coverings Mississauga and throughout other GTA locations. We’re here to help! Get in touch with us today!
Leave A Comment